Little did I know that there would be a very exciting presentation about classrooms of the 21st Century. Here are the points I took from it:
- Kids can Google anything in their own home so what can they be taught in a traditional classroom that they can't learn in their PJ's at their own computer?
- Real life experience is what students need.
- Christian children need to be out in their community being a disciple of Christ guided by their Christian teachers.
- Perhaps schools need to buy more buses instead of build more classrooms.
Here's how I intend to apply what I learned:
- Buy an iPad - I am totally serious. This is an age of information and while I want to do plenty of things the "old fashioned way" I realize that my children need to be technology literate.
- Choose activities that give my children opportunities to love others. Not just other 5 year olds or their grandparents but truly love and serve those they com into contact with.
- Find lessons in real life experiences.
What an exciting time to be a homeschool teacher! How are you creating a 21st century classroom?