Thursday, September 10, 2009

What My Child is Reading!

This is a really great new Blog carnival by Mouse Grows Mouse Learns. I am thrilled to participate.

 Everyday we read a story or two from The Beginners Bible.
 My husband calls this bible the cliff notes version.  The illustrations are bright and colorful.  They are also consistent.  (Jesus always wears purple).  The stories don't make me want to rip my hair out and I read the same few over and over with a bit of variation thrown in here and there.

The other 2 books we have spent a lot of time reading this week are Nursery Rhyme books.
The first is Magic Mother Goose.

This is a real attentions grabber.  There are slide out pages that turn to color when they are moved.  The drawings are whimsical.  Hudson has truly enjoyed this book.

The second is The Usborne Book of Nursery Rhymes.
 
This book was sent by Great Aunt Helen in Scotland.  It is quite long.  What I love about it is that there is a table of contents.  You can look up and read your very favorite nursery rhymes and by pass the rest. 
Head over to Mouse Grows Mouse Learns to see what others are reading!








9 comments:

Christy Killoran said...

We have that same Bible. My son loves it, and we are reading it through for the third time. We read one story every night before bed. It is perfect for young children.

Our Little Family said...

That's great to know about that Bible. I've been reviewing and contemplating new options for Maddie, and I keep coming up with that one. Off to check Amazon! Thanks!

Tara Broman said...

Yeah! You have won the Usborne Book Giveaway. Go to Amanda's site here:
http://usbornetoday.com/index.html
and choose a book (up to $15). Email me with the title and your shipping address and I will forward it to her.

Thanks for entering! Enjoy!

Debbie said...

Selena loves her Beginner's Bible. I love the simple stories.

Susana said...

Thank you for sharing the Bible. I have been looking for a good children's Bible for a few months and appreciate this recommendation.

We have that Usborne Nursery Rhymes book and enjoy it too.

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

Thanks for linking to me and congrats on winning Usborne giveaway! I sorely wanted that one :) We are a secular family, but I am contemplating to get a book with Bible stories for Anna. This book is a shared heritage of human race, and I don't want her to grow up not knowing anything about it, especially seeing how she will go to school one day where most of the children will probably come from the families that go to church. I keep seeing this Bible on many blogs, maybe I will first try to find it in the library.

MaryAnne said...

Yours is the second review I've seen for that Bible story book, I'll have to check it out. Thanks for the nursery rhyme book reviews also.

Nicole {tired, need sleep} said...

We also have that Bible (or one very much like it - our cover picture is different, but it's the same title and same illustrator)and love it. I'm interested in the Magic Mother Goose book - it sounds great! We are really into poetry here lately, so I'll have to look into that one! Thank you!

Jolanthe said...

Saw this entry under one of your other posts and had to say we LOVE that Bible too. :) It was great when our kids first started reading too - they really liked reading it to me. :)

Share This Idea!