Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Smoother School Days

Sometimes I don't want to get out of bed. As a very pregnant mother of two (soon to be 3) and  rookie farm wife, life seems much easier if I spend my day under my duvet.  Mornings are NOT my forte.  However how I choose to spend my morning can either make or break my day.  Here are some ideas on how to have a smooth school day.



  1.  Get up before your children. Groan.  I did not just write that.  It's absolutely true though!  Quiet time to yourself in the morning to reflect, plan and prepare is key. Also remember to eat breakfast.  I know I am cranky if I am hungry.
  2. Establish a routine. What happens when your children wake up?  Do they call snuggle up on the couch and listen to a bible story?  Is it breakfast time right away?  Are there chores to be done before they eat?  Be consistent so your children know what to expect when they come out of their bedroom.
  3. Plan Ahead. Don't be scrambling to figure out a unit study topic Monday morning or try to figure out which subjects you are going to cover for school THAT morning.  This cause stress and stress causes me to flee the situation (back to my duvet and dream land perhaps?)  Find an organization system and a planner that works for you.  We loosely use work boxes (by loosely I mean we have each activity separated into the work box but don't use the card system with it). I use Google Calendar to plan our weeks lessons and activities.  
4. Know your limits. Truly if all else fails get yourself a latte and plug in an educational DVD

1 comment:

twyla said...

one thing that helps me is planning the night before. that way i can get my morning coffee with hubby before the rush begins!

Share This Idea!