Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Picnic Table Talk- Encouragement

Today's Picnic Table Talk is about encouragement.

Can't is a word we do not allow in our home. When one of us (parents or children) whines "I can't..." this is the remedy:
1. Immediately put your hand over your mouth.
2. Spit the word can't into your hand.
3. Hold can't tightly in your fist.
4. Throw can't as far away as you can.
5. Choose a different word or phrase. (This is tough. or May I have help with this please?)

Can't is a debilitating word. It sucks the confidence and power right out of you. It is discouraging.

I encourage my children by showing them they can. I praise their accomplishments, even some of the really small ones. I point out the ways they have improved on something the have been struggling with.

I teach them that through Christ they can.

13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
(Philippians 4:13, New King James Version)

For more Picnic Table Talk head on over to ABC and 123.



P.S. Remember to enter my giveaway!

3 comments:

Christy Killoran said...

I really like the idea of spitting out can't. Thanks for sharing.

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

I like the idea of removing the word "can't", but I am curious - don't you use it yourself when you tell your children "no" - as in "No, you can't have candy before dinner"? Or have you found a way to avoid those "can't"s in your daily life too?

Debbie said...

I love your ideas about not using the word "can't" I know we have to remove that word from Selena's vocabulary. I don't know that I would have come up with these ideas. We will definately have to give them a try.

Share This Idea!